Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Leeks and lasagna soup

I wanted to make leek and potato soup. So I looked up the recipe on Williams-Sonoma but it seemed too much. I didn't have butter and cream as their recipe suggested. So I looked into my pantry and noticed I had few lasagna sheets left over. This is what I came up with. You can use elbow macaroni too if you don't want the lasagna sheets.

Ingredients:

Leeks - 2 cups roughly chopped
Carrot - 2 cups peeled and cubed
Celery - 2 cups finely chopped
Baking potato - 1 large peeled and cubed + 1 large boiled and mashed
Lasagna sheets - 4 broken into pieces
Vegetable broth - 1 8oz can
Red chilli flakes - 1 tsp
Garlic powder - 1 tsp
Dried Parsley - 1tsp
Black pepper - 2tsps freshly ground
Salt - to taste
Oil - as needed

Procedure:
Heat oil in a pan. Saute the leeks with little salt, garlic pwder, red chilli flakes and parsely till they are soft. Add carrots, potatoes and celery. Add just enough salt for the veggies and saute them for 3 - 4 minutes.

Add the vegetable broth and 1 cup of water. Bring it to a boil. Once the vegetables are tender, add lasagna sheets and 2 cups of water and the mashed potato. Check for salt and add if needed. Stir in the black pepper powder and cook till lasagna sheets are done.

Turn of the flame and serve it with garlic bread on the side:).

No comments: