Sunday, September 23, 2007

Kichdi

My first memory of Kichdi is eating it hot off the stove when I was in my 10th grade and falling in love with it :) ( yup I love my food and have a great relationship with them;)). My aunt (Dad's Cousin) who was visiting us made it and it really was yummy.

So today I made it for the first time and I have to say I am in love again;). You can add any kind of vegetables you want. Also, try to use fresh ginger and garlic and not those jar stuff. Here is the recipe for another one pot dish.

Ingredients

Rice - 1.5 Cups washed
Split yellow lentils ( moong dal or pesarappu) - 1/2 cup soaked in water for 30 to 40 minutes
White Onions - 4 Tbsp. diced small
Napa Cabbage - 3 leaves chopped fine
Orange bell pepper - 1 diced fine
Green Peas - 1/4 cup
Ginger - 1 tsp. minced
Garlic - 1tsp. minced
Green chillies - 3 slit length wise ( you can add more if you want more spicy)
Curry Leaves - 4
Water - 3 cups
Salt - To taste
Turmeric - pinch
Oil - 4 Tsp.
Butter - 1Tbsp.
Dry masala ( to be ground to fine powder)
Cumin - 1/2 tsp.
Coriander Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cloves - 3
Cardamom - 1
Cinnamon Stick - 1/2 inch
Bay leaves - 2 dried

Procedure:
Heat oil and butter in a wide 5 quart pan.
Add green chillies, curry leaves, ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
Add onions and saute till soft.
Add the peppers, cabbage and peas. Season with enough salt and cook till veggies are soft.
Add turmeric and the ground masala. Fry for 1 minute.
Add the lentils and mix well. Add half cup of water and cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in between.
Wash and add the rice and mix.
Add the remaining 2.5 cups of water. Bring to a bowl. Lower the flame, cover and cook till rice is completely done and there is no water left.

No comments: