Thursday, September 27, 2007

Kotthu Porotta a.k.a Kitchen Sink

First about Kotthu porotta - I had this first time in Chennai after my wedding. It's basically a porotta or thick chapathi or bread which is cooked and then cut into pieces and cooked with any assortment of vegetables, egg and meat. The restaurant I went to had like 10 different varieties. Egg, peppers, onion, chillies, chicken, lamb - you name it , they got it. Prabu then explained to me that it was actually a street food gone high end. You still see those road side places in India doing this on a big wide pan and the guy will be killing it with 2 big spatulas. It's very very tasty though.

The reason I call this kitchen sink is very simple. There is this Vietnamese place on plainfield avenue in New Jersey that sells a dish called Kitchen Sink :). It basically has noodles, shrimp roll, vegetables, meat and anything you can imagine ( except Palmolive soap). Sounds nasty to call something a kitchen sink but hey that's what it is. Mix of everything.

Here is my recipe to the Indian Kitchen Sink. I use store bought frozen porottas. You can just microwave them for a minute or two and they are good to go. You have to be careful in picking these up. They are not naan, or rotis. They are slightly thicker almost like a roti canai. They are also called malaysian porottas. They are very flaky and multi layered.

When I use fancy word like Julienned I mean, thin slices length wise;)

Ingredients:

Porottas - 4 shredded to pieces by hand
Onions - 1 small white onion thinly sliced length wise
Green bell pepper - 1 julienned
Red bell pepper - 1 julienned
Tomato - 1 medium sliced thin
Eggs - 3 large beaten with salt and pepper
Curry leaves - 6
Green chillies - 3 slit length wise
Sambar Powder - 1 tsp.
Slat - to taste
Oil - as needed

Procedure:

Heat oil in a wide skillet. Add green chillies and curry leaves.

After 30 seconds add onions and peppers. Mix in salt and saute till the vegetables are soft.

Add tomatoes and cook till tomatoes wilt.

Add the sambar powder and saute for 2 minutes.

Stir in egg and cook till you don't see any runniness from eggs ( I like my eggs well cooked. no watery stuff for me )

Add the shredded porottas and mix until they are well blended.

Eat hot :).

No comments: