Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Cabbage with Yellow Lentils ( Cabbage with Pesarapappu)

This is one of my favorite dish. I never made it myself. I always had mom make it for me. I did today and I am patting myself for doing a good job;). You HAVE to appreciate yourself once in a while now, don;t you?

Ingredients:


Cabbage - 4 cups Shredded
Yellow moong dal( pesarapappu) - 1 cup soaked in water for one hour or more
Garlic - 3 cloves crushed
Curry Leaves - 4
Green Chili - 1 cut length wise
Turmeric - pinch
Red Chili Powder - 2 tsps or per taste
Salt - to taste
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Oil - as needed

Procedure:


Heat oil in a shallow pan. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds. Once they sputter add the green chilli, curry leaves and garlic. Stir for 30 seconds and add the cabbage. Add salt enough for the cabbage and stir. Turn the flame to medium low, add 1/4 cup of water and cover and cook for 10 minutes or till the cabbage is just tender. To this add the soaked yellow lentils and mix. Add the red chili powder, turmeric and little more salt for the lentils and let it cook on medium heat till the lentils are cooked to the tooth.

Remove from heat and serve with rice or make it a sandwich by adding this to slice of whole grain bread.

No comments: