Friday, May 11, 2007

Chinese Chicken Fried Rice

I am not sure if I add the word "Chinese" in front of this because I really don't if this is how they make it. So if you think it's not my apologies:). This is the first time I made this and all the quantities are approximate:).

Couple of things:
I heard it tastes better if you use leftover rice. I didn't have any left over rice so I made a fresh batch and kept it in the fridge for an hour:).

I used all freshly chopped veggies but you can frozen mixed veggies. Experiment with it. You never know how you might like it:)

I used low sodium soy sauce.

I also used red chilli oil and red chilli flakes for the kick I like;)

Ingredients:

Rice - 2 cups dry cooked with 4 cups of water
Chicken - 1 lb cut into thin strips
Carrots - 1/2 cup thinly chopped
Celery - 1/2 cup thinly chopped
Green Beans - 1/2 cup thinly chopped
Cabbage - 1/2 cup thinly chopped
Corn Kernels - 1/2 cup
Onions - 1 cup diced
Scallions - 1/2 cup chopped
Garlic - 2 Tbsp minced
Ginger - 2 Tbsp minced
Soy sauce - 1/2 cup
Red Chilli oil - as needed
Red chilli flakes - as needed
Sesame oil - as needed
Salt - per taste

Procedure:

Add 3 Tbsp soy sauce to the white rice, mix and keep it aside.

In a microwave safe bowl, add celery, carrots, beans, corn and cover with little water and microwave it on high for 2 minutes. Add cabbage and microwave for 30 more seconds. If there is any excess water drain and keep the veggies aside.

In a wok or deep pan, heat sesame and chilli oil. It should come almost to a smoking point. Add chicken and cook till all the pink color is gone. Add little bit of soy sauce to this and cook till the meat is cooked lal the way through. Keep it aside.

In the same pan, heat little more chilli and sesame oil and add red chilli flakes, ginger, garlic and scallions. Cook for 30 seconds. Add onions and a little bit of salt. Fry for 2 minutes. Add the veggies and saute for 3 minutes. The flame for the stove should be on high all along and keep stirring it if you think it's sticking to the pan. However, I suggest you not skimp on oil;) and add a bit extra so this doesn't stick:) ( we will worry about healthy eating later).

Add the chicken to this mixture, some more soy sauce and cook for 2 minutes . Add this mixture to the rice and voila we are done:)

No comments: